Breaking the rules

21 Sep

I love this new dress that I got from Urban 1972 — forrest green is one of my all time favorite colors, and the jersey/modal material = comfort beyond belief. It’s one of those effortless pieces you can just throw on and feel pretty in… easy peasy!

Was having one of those days where I couldn’t stay still… feeling a bit rambunctious, you know what I mean? So, I figured I’d add a little wackiness to my look. Threw on some layers (a trick I like to try from time to time), added “sash” of pearls, and plopped on this old hat — recovered from the deepest, darkest depths of my closet.

My favorite part about fashion is there are no rules (at least that’s how I feel).  Sometimes the strangest combinations end up coming together in a way that you’d never expect.  Don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone, or take another look through that box of clothes you’ve been meaning to get rid of… sometimes scrappiness is key and you don’t need to buy a new wardrobe to create a whole new look!

*wearing: Draped shoulder dress c/o Urban 1972, Zara skirt, string of pearls, JC platforms, flower hat??

22 Lovely Comments on “Breaking the rules”

1. chloe 02. Oct, 2010 at 1:21 am #

ooooh, i LOVE that! not many people can break conventional fashion “rules” and look so inspiring, hehe x

2. sterling style 27. Sep, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

love your cute beanie! You are such a doll!

3. Suzanne 27. Sep, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

the hat looks very nice on you!

4. Clare 25. Sep, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

Gorgeous photos!

iliketweet

x

5. Kate 24. Sep, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

You always look original and pretty! I’m following you for some time cause the way you dress is soo in my taste. keep it girl!

6. online wardrobe 23. Sep, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

The whole “no rules” thing is my favorite thing about fashion, too. Love the expression it allows.

7. Anna Jane 22. Sep, 2010 at 9:54 pm #

i love that you let the dress peek out at the bottom. you look fantastic, as usual. hope you’re enjoying the wonderful sf weather we’ve been having this week!

xx anna jane

8. She Wears, She Shares 22. Sep, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

I thought the backdrop looked familiar! You’re from SF! Me too! Love your look here and the previous posts as well. Just here to give you some local love!

9. Emily//the lesser panda 22. Sep, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

What a clever way to wear your dress/skirt! I hadn’t thought about doing that. You look fabulous as always. The color of your dress looks great on your skin tone too!

10. Amber's notebook 22. Sep, 2010 at 10:29 am #

I love the Great Gatsby vibes I am getting from the undertones of the outfit!

11. Closet Confections 22. Sep, 2010 at 10:20 am #

Wow! Who knew you could make a skirt over a dress look so effortlessly cool. I’m going to have to try that one of these days. Great outfit.

Kendra

12. Marilyn-Jeaux 22. Sep, 2010 at 10:13 am #

You know as weaird as “I wore a skirt over my dress sounds” (lol) you made it work as though they belong. I love that you don’t come off as though you’re trying to be like everyone else. Your outfits seem to be 100% you and that’s really inspiring.

:) Thank you!! You always leave the sweetest comments — I really, really appreciate it!! <3

13. he 22. Sep, 2010 at 10:03 am #

that skirt looks great on you, you have amazing legs! hot heels, and the turbans is pretty cool

14. Lisa 22. Sep, 2010 at 9:22 am #

wow – skirt over dress – love it!

15. Vida 22. Sep, 2010 at 5:33 am #

Nice look. Modal is so comfortable. That’s what my sheets are all made of and everyone wants to know where I got them!

16. Emma 22. Sep, 2010 at 4:37 am #

I Love the No Rules in Fashion ! That dress is Stunning and I Love the hat ! Very 1920 classic style with an edge. : )

17. JL 22. Sep, 2010 at 4:11 am #

absolutely to die for!

Cheers!

18. sandy 22. Sep, 2010 at 1:27 am #

reminiscent of an outfit that I just saw from liz of late afternoon’s blog! you both pull off the skirt layering really well! definitely something I’d like to try

I guess sometimes I draw inspiration from my favorite bloggers without even realizing it!! Liz has such amazing style :)

19. Nádia 22. Sep, 2010 at 1:06 am #

Adore the originality! Loving the drape dress!

20. Christopher Shepherd 21. Sep, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

I want to again thank you for being nice to me when I was acclimating to the culture shock of California (still recovering), your man takes great photos! I am a bit jealous of not only his camera but that he gets to follow you around on all these fashionable adventures. I don’t mean that to be taken too seriously. I write a blog now, newsnowlife.blogspot.com if you’re interested on what’s going on in my life these days. Thank you again and make sure to tell (Blake?) that he’s a great photographer and to keep it up!