Keep On Moving

23 Aug

New York City fashion, personal style, travel, lifestyle blog: Mexico vacation, floral maxi dress

I’ve been in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for the past week or so. Flew out here to witness the wedding vow renewals of our close family friends…my parents’ neighbors for the past 30 years. They were celebrating their 50th anniversary, and wanted to share it with the people who matter the most. The people who have been there for them and made their journey a magical one. Not only is the location breathtakingly beautiful, but it has been quite an honor to be included in such a special occasion. It is a refreshing reminder of what truly matters in life.

I am so blessed to have grown up with parents who have not only stayed together, but are still deeply in love after 33 years of marriage. I know how uncommon this is and have always been appreciative of the fact that I was raised in a stable home. I mean, no family is perfect, but every single day I thank my lucky stars for each quirk, strength, talent and odd personality trait that comprises our pack of weirdos. My family is my world. Living across the country has really made me treasure those rare occasions where my father, mother, brother (his amazing girlfriend), sister, and I are all able to drop our lives and be together. We are so different (even my parents are total opposites!), but I find that this has only made us stronger and more openminded individuals over the years.

I have always been a hopeless romantic, but must confess that recently I have found my beliefs wavering a bit. I’m not sure our generation has the same values and appreciation for this sentiment that I find to be so invaluable, and at times these thoughts leave me severely discouraged. Just after moving to New York, I parted ways with the man who I, for six years, thought to be the love of my life. I closed myself off emotionally for a long time, in an attempt to find a much-needed sense of independence. While I do feel that I grew quite a bit during the two years I was single, I currently find myself enduring yet another painful breakup of sorts. It doesn’t get any easier.

But I do still see all of the kisses, laughs, tears and lessons learned as precious experiences…to me these are risks worth taking.

I have made many friends, and lost a couple along the way. I put my full heart and soul into each and every relationship, and I will admit, I become somewhat attached to the people who are important to me. This is not a quality that I want to lose, but it is certainly one that has caused me pain.

All of this being said, at the end of the day, I am not a quitter. And while the struggles I have endured over the past several months have been significant, I still have to believe that it’ll all be worthwhile in the end. I am far from perfect, but I won’t stop trying to find happiness and fulfillment. I am confident that one day I will.

So, yep, I will remain a hopeless romantic. I am grateful for each battle that has made me stronger, and will continue to embrace whatever the future might throw at me. Hopefully I find someone to share my life with, but even if I don’t, I’m still pretty damn lucky to be living the life that I live….to be in the most amazing city in the world, have wonderful friends, and an incredible family. I am lucky to have myself.

Things come and things go, and nobody can foresee what tomorrow might bring. What I do know is who I am, what I believe in, and the kind of person I will always strive to be. And I guess at 26, that is probably enough.

Baby, just keep on movin’.

*head to toe: KAS New York maxi dress, vintage heels

20 Lovely Comments on “Keep On Moving”

1. sara 05. Sep, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

I love your heart sweet pea and your ability to wait for what your parents have. You will find the perfect man and you will know it the day it happens. I can’t wait to celebrate with you next year (the wedding is 8/8/15 and I’m sending save the dates now). I love you!

2. Melissa 02. Sep, 2014 at 11:27 am #

I hope this email finds you well!

By way of introduction, I am producing the Cosmopolitan’s Emerging Designer Presentation at the Glass Houses in New York City on September 10th from 6:30-9pm. Victoria Joyce gave me your information as she thinks you would be great to cover the event for us.

Cosmopolitan’s Emerging Designer Presentation is event that occurs during Fashion Week. Cosmo partners with a fashion designer to support the showcase of their spring collection. There are also a few sponsors we have confirmed that we will integrate organically into the showcase.

Please let me know if this opportunity is of interest to you. If so I would love to get on a call and walk you through the details.

Thank you!

3. Melissa 02. Sep, 2014 at 11:25 am #

I hope this email finds you well!

By way of introduction, I am producing the Cosmopolitan’s Emerging Designer Presentation at the Glass Houses in New York City on September 10th from 6:30-9pm. We are interested in seeing if you are available to cover the event for us.

Thank you!

4. Billie 02. Sep, 2014 at 2:31 am #

Read this post when you originally wrote it, and again just now.

I think what you speak of is really, really true and I have often found myself so discouraged to live in this generation that honestly plays a lot of games. My parents have been married and happily in love since they were twenty, and I am so jealous!!

But I do know people my age who are in wonderful, happy, healthy relationships. That’s all I can hope for, we’ve got to believe in something! Thanks for being so honest and raw, it’s nice to hear.

Keep on trucking’ babe, you look fantastic.

We’ll all be okay! xx

5. Billie 02. Sep, 2014 at 2:31 am #

Read this post when you originally wrote it, and again just now.

Keep on trucking’ babe, you look fantastic.

We’ll all be okay! xx

6. Mayflower 30. Aug, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

That dress is amazing ♥

7. Cheralee 28. Aug, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

You look absolutely stunning Laura! You’re glowing in this pretty dress. Hope you had an amazing trip, hope to see during fashion week. xoxo

8. Fortune Tarantola 26. Aug, 2014 at 11:26 am #

Hope you’re enjoying Mexico, it is absolutely gorgeous! Did you happen to wear this dress to the wedding? I have a wedding coming up in September & I was thinking about getting this dress, I love it! What size did you get?

xxFTF

I wore it to one of the parties just before the wedding, but I think it’s a perfect dress for a wedding too!! I love it, the top part is leather, not sure if you can tell. Fun little touch. :)

I think it is a size 0 or 2 – I do know that they run true to size. :) Just may need some good heels if you aren’t super tall!

Fortune Tarantola Reply:

Thank you for responding! I had no idea there was any leather on it, which makes this dress even more awesome! I ordered it in an xs today, so excited to get it. Thank you for your all help & for sharing!

xxFTF

Ishveen Reply:

Thanks for the love for our dress. We hope you chose it for your upcoming party.
    Send me an email on ishveen@kasnewyork.com and I hope we can get you your size x

9. lyndon 26. Aug, 2014 at 1:10 am #

You styled the long skirt pretty well.

10. Kierra 25. Aug, 2014 at 7:02 pm #

Love this dress! Perfect for Mexico
    XO

11. nikki 25. Aug, 2014 at 7:58 am #

love this post. it’s hard to believe in true love sometimes, but when you find that person, it all makes sense!! (ps. gorgeous dress! you look stunning)

xxoo,
    nikki

Thank you Nikki!! And thanks for the sweet words of encouragement. :)

12. Danaw 24. Aug, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

You know,just the phrase ”I’m lucky to have myself” is quite a big deal to say it and believe it and you are a winner when you do(:

13. Naomi A 24. Aug, 2014 at 11:20 am #

Congrats to your parent’s neighbors and to your parents! Long marriages are so sweet to hear about! From another hopeless romantic, never stop seeking love or good chocolate! They make the world go ’round!

xoxo, The Occasional Indulgence

Amen, sister!! Glad to hear there are other people who feel the same way as me about love (AND CHOCOLATE!!). xo

14. Fashion Snag 24. Aug, 2014 at 10:38 am #

Thanks for sharing your story! Things will be okay. It seems that life is a journey with many twists and turns. I think everything happens for a reason. Those things do make you stronger in the end. Great post. Stay strong!

15. Jeanne 23. Aug, 2014 at 10:39 pm #